We can help.
First Time Mover
Frequently Asked Questions
Emerald City Moving & Storage is locally owned and operated. We provide a full range of commercial relocation project services including modular furniture installation and reconfiguration, moves of all sizes, project management, secure climate controlled warehousing and free consultations.
Q: When should I start planning my move?
A: The "physical" relocation planning should begin approximately 6 months before the move date. Emerald City Moving and Storage can provide you with timelines, proposal and selection criteria and general relocation planning advise.
Q. Do I have to have my modular furniture vendor disassemble and reassemble my furniture for the move?
A: No. Emerald City Moving and Storage has crews skilled and trained in modular furniture disassembly and reassembly. It is important to ask for references and qualifications as part of the purchase process. Also note that data, phone and electrical disconnect and reconnect may be required to be performed by licensed personnel and in many cases a permit from the city is required.
Q: How much time / days will it take to move my office?
A: 1. Approximately 60 people with offices consisting of desk, credenza,bookcase, 3 chairs, including common areas, can be moved in a 12 hour period.
2. Approximately 125 people with offices consisting of "contents" only (boxes, chair and PC) can be moved in a 12 hour period.
3. Approximately 20 people with offices consisting of modular furniture systems can be moved in a 12 hour period.
Note that there are many variables to these generalizations and the best way to make an accurate determination is to have an Emerald City representative visit your facility and provide different options.
Q: Do you work nights, weekends and holidays?
A: Yes. Most commercial relocations are performed on "off hours" because of building restrictions and to minimize "down time" for the business being relocated.
Q: What kind of Insurance protection can I expect from the mover?
A: 1. The industry standard for most relocations is $.060 / lb. / article. This coverage is typically at no additional charge. Emerald City Moving and Storage has a menu of additional insurance coverage options for an additional premium. Ask your own broker what options they have available and compare to the options of the moving company.
2. Most professional relocation companies have General Liability, property Damage and Auto Coverage. Ask for a certificate of Insurance.
Q: How do I get a quote?
A: When you are ready to get more than just a "budgetary" quote, contact Emerald City Moving and Storage to come in and provide you with a formal proposal.
A few hints:
1. Have as much detail about the move available to the mover as possible. If you don't have all the details, set some standard assumptions. The object is for you to get an "apples to apples" comparison from all vendors.
2. Put your request for information into a written outline specifying what you want in the way of a response and what your standard assumptions are.
3. Have all vendors walk thru at one time so they all get the same information and to save you time.
Q: How are computers and sensitive equipment moved?
A:Emerald City Moving and Storage has crews, equipment and trucks specifically designated for the movement of computers and sensitive electronic equipment. Make sure you have your "in-house" or contracted technicians lined up for timely disconnect, reconnect and calibration of equipment. Many times they are the 1st in and last out in a move process. We can assist with back up technical support if needed.
Q: What do I do with furniture I don't move?
A: Unfortunately, in most cases, there is not much if any resale value to your old furniture. We suggest employee sales, donations, public auctions and some used furniture buyers. Perhaps the company moving into your old space needs furniture. Modular systems furniture does have some resale value and that should be explored. Emerald City Moving and Storage can assist you with disposal of your old furniture.